Dysphagia Certification Program
This certification program comprises of combining Neuro-muscular Electrical Stimulation and Traditional Dysphagia techniques. This is the only FDA cleared treatment approach.
KEY TOPICS COVERED:
- Muscle Physiology
- Pathological swallowing mechanisms and processes
- Modified Barium Swallow Evaluations
- Basic concepts of Neuro-muscular electrical stimulation
- Vitalstim Therapy Protocol
Upon completion of this workshop, students should be able to:
- To describe the various phases of the normal swallowing movement
- To describe the neuro-physiological processes involved in normal swallowing, neural pathways controlling swallowing
- Positive and negative feedback occurring during swallowing
- To discuss the psychological aspects involved with and their impact on swallowing.
- To describe the main pathological conditions affecting the swallowing function in both the; adult and paediatric population.
- To interpret the results of a modified barium study.
- To categorize the swallowing disorder based on the result of the evaluation.
- To describe the characteristics of electrical stimulation and the influence of electricity on muscle tissue.
- To identify the pathological conditions for which electrical stimulation is indicated.
- To describe the characteristics of the VitalStim Therapy electrical stimulation unit and the electrodes used.
- To discuss and demonstrate the application of VitalStim Therapy technology in the treatment of dysphagia.
- To discuss and demonstrate the use of swallowing exercise during and after the application of VitalStim technology.
- To discuss the use of other interventions to maximize the impact of VitalStim Therapy.
- To discuss and demonstrate correct use of documentation forms.